Sunday, August 4, 2013

Homeward Bound

I woke up at 4 am, and thought it would be nice to get a lot of the driving out of the way. So by 4:30 we were on our way, and everyone else just kept sleeping. But we came to Martin’s Cove sooner than I thought, by 7 am. So I woke everyone up, we had breakfast, and then we started on our way.
It was a great time, talking about the pioneers, walking, etc. I think the kids came to appreciate the pioneers just a bit more. The only downside was that the mosquitos were crazy, and most of us got dozens and dozens of bites. It was the worst I have ever seen mosquito infestation.

Off we go on our hike. No mosquitoes to begin with

BJ doing the dance we all did to keep mosquitoes away. It didn't work.

Some dogs came along with us, and the kids enjoyed that. We saw several gazelle very close up, and a deer and some rabbits too. 

The polar bear dog that came with us, Oscar
The blue healer, Max (we gave them these names)
To begin with the little ones were afraid of these dogs

Later they loved the dogs, especially Sabrina. They cried when we left them

We talked about the sacrifices the pioneers made, a  little bit about the history of the place, and pulled a handcart for a while. It was a good break.

Statue at Martin's Cove where we talked about the sacrifices of the pioneers
Alexia and Sabrina pulling the handcart

Jacob and BJ moving the handcart

But by the time we were done we had spent 3 hours there and I was anxious to get back home. I was mildly worried about the motor home. I should have been very worried, but by now I just have developed the feeling that God will get that thing home for us. We climbed several thousand feet on some long, steep, steep, steep hills. The engine ran cool, the radiator never leaked. For about an hour the bad wind came back. Not quite as bad, but still I had to wrestle with the steering wheel. We drove and drove. We stopped for McDonald’s to make it a little more fun. 

We drove and drove, and just before 6 pm we got home.

Driving and driving

and driving, looking out the window

I was, and am still, overwhelmed with gratitude. The Lord has helped us so much. I am amazed that we pulled this trip off. We have been planning it for 10 years or so, and working hard for it for a little over two. It was complicated, expensive, and difficult, but it worked. And it was a great trip. As soon as we got in we knelt in prayer and thanked our Father in Heaven that it worked so well. I really, truly, fully believe that we experienced miracles with that motor home. God saw us through. I am so utterly grateful and cannot find the words to express how much I relied on the Lord and how grateful I am for how he helped me and how calming it was to come to trust in him so much. My testimony has deepened in so many ways, but the motorhome may have brought me closer to the Lord than even the Sacred Grove.
I can’t believe we did it. With his help, but we did it.

Our faithful motorhom
 We unloaded a bit, said goodbye to Grandma and Grandpa, and had dinner. The kids went to various places in the house, and it seemed so strange that they weren’t right with us. When BJ was down in his room I missed him. I didn’t like having my kids so far away from me. I came to realize that if we had to all live in a small cabin we could. I feel closer to them than I ever have. It was so strange to have so much space. I am sad to see our squished time together gone. I am grateful to be home, so grateful. It was a great trip, but I am very ready for it to be over. But I miss having us so together and working so much together. I love this family, and am so happy to have had this experience. We will always remember it. Thank the Lord, Julianne, and all my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment